Mince pies are a must for many bakers at the holidays. These individual pies are perfect for gift-giving.
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 2 tbsp butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup dried currants
- ¼ cup mixed candied peel
- ¼ cup chopped almonds or hazelnuts
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp brandy or whisky
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- ½ banana
- One 17.3 oz (484g) box thawed frozen puff pastry sheets
- 3½ in (9cm) and smaller, decorative cookie cutters
Prepare ahead: The pies can be prepared and stored for up to 3 days.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly butter 9 cups in a muffin pan.
2. Grate the apple (including the skin) into a bowl. Add the butter, golden raisins, raisins, currants, mixed peel, almonds, brown sugar, brandy, pumpkin pie spice, and lemon zest and mix well. Dice the banana, add to the bowl, and mix again.
3. Roll out the puff pastry into a 14in (35cm) square. Prick the dough well with a fork. Cut out 9 rounds of dough with a 3½ in (9cm) diameter cookie cutter. Fit the rounds into the muffin cups. Divide the apple mixture among the cups. Using 3in (7.5cm) diameter decorative cookie cutters, cut out 9 shapes or rounds. Place on top of the filling. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
4. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown. Carefully remove from the cups and cool on a wire cake rack.