Greek salad is featured on almost every diner and cafe menu, but rarely is it vegan. Thanks to easy-to-make faux feta, now you can enjoy this salad at home.
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Pinch sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch slices
- ½ medium green bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch slices
- ¾ cup small cauliflower florets
- ¾ cup halved pitted kalamata olives
- ½ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (oil-packed or reconstituted)
- Faux Feta (recipe follows)
- 12 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
1. To Make the Faux Feta: In a small bowl crumble the tofu into ½-inch pieces. Add the remaining ingredients and gently stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until needed. This is best if made a few hours ahead of time or up to a day in advance.
2. To Make the Dressing: In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients except the oil. Set aside for 30 minutes to soften the dried herbs, then whisk in the olive oil. Refrigerate until serving. Whisk again just before using.
3. To Make the Salad: Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Add the faux feta and the reserved dressing. Toss to coat. Serve immediately.