A mole sauce is made with cocoa. But there are so many complex seasonings in mole that the chocolate becomes transformed into a new, unique flavor.
- 2 pounds 10% fat ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups tomato juice
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground chili powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
1) Heat a large, heavy pot and cook the beef in it, stirring frequently, until the meat is cooked through. Pour off and discard the meat juices. Remove the beef to a plate.
2) Put the oil in the pot and cook the onions and garlic over moderate-high heat until the onions begin to change color, about 5 minutes. Cover between stirrings.
3) Return the meat to the pot and stir in the remaining ingredients except the cornmeal. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
4) Stir in the cornmeal (this will thicken the chili) and cook uncovered for about 30 minutes longer.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per Serving: Calories 370; Protein 34g; Fat 15g (Saturated 5g); Carbohydrates 27g; Fiber 7g; Sodium 1074mg