- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 48 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
A mole sauce is made with cocoa. But there are so many complex seasonings in mole that the chocolate becomes transformed into a new, unique flavor.
1) Heat a large, heavy pot and cook the beef in it, stirring frequently, until the meat is cooked through. Pour off and discard the meat juices. Remove the beef to a plate.
2) Put the oil in the pot and cook the onions and garlic over moderate-high heat until the onions begin to change color, about 5 minutes. Cover between stirrings.
3) Return the meat to the pot and stir in the remaining ingredients except the cornmeal. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
4) Stir in the cornmeal (this will thicken the chili) and cook uncovered for about 30 minutes longer.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per Serving: Calories 370; Protein 34g; Fat 15g (Saturated 5g); Carbohydrates 27g; Fiber 7g; Sodium 1074mg