- Course: Main Course, Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 8 Times
Garlic, fresh herbs, and roasted red peppers imbue this salad with full-bodied Mediterranean flavors. Use roasted red peppers packed in oil for ease of preparation. Grated fennel adds a slightly sweet taste and a fresh-tasting crunch.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh oregano or ¼ teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups cold cooked brown basmati or other rice
- ½ cup grated fresh fennel
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1½ cups cooked or canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained if canned
- One 4-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- Torn mixed salad greens, for serving
- Oil-cured black olives, pitted, for garnish
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the oil in a slow, steady stream until emulsified and smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the rice, fennel, onion, chickpeas, and roasted red peppers. Add the dressing and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
3. Line a platter with salad greens and top with the rice salad. Garnish with the black olives and serve.
© 2007 Robin Robertson
Nutritional information includes 10 Oil-cured black olives, pitted, for garnish.