Mediterranean Carrot Mezza
Published by Stewart, Tabori & Chang
This is a gorgeous mix of carrots, fruit, nuts, and spices. Make them in advance and take them as a packed lunch.
Cooking Methodpan-frying, steaming
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Recipe Coursemain course, snack
Dietary Considerationmain course, snack
Taste and Texturefruity, light, nutty
Type of Dishvegetable
- 10 medium carrots
- 2 slices whole-grain bread, rubbed into crumbs
- 12 dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins, chopped
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons mixed chopped fresh mint and dill
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Low-fat plain yogurt
- Chopped red onion
- Cilantro leaves, shredded
1 Steam and roughly mash half the carrots, and grate the rest. Combine them together then add the remaining ingredients up to the seasoning and knead well. If the mixture is too wet, add more bread crumbs–it should be soft and slightly damp.
2 Mold the mixture into 24 small “cakes” then “dry” fry in a nonstick pan sprayed with oil until browned on both sides.
3 Serve with low-fat plain yogurt, generously flavored with red onion and cilantro.
Anthony Worrall Thompson