Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Recipe Coursemain course
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturemeaty, savory
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound lean ground veal
- ½ pound lean ground pork
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves or ½ teaspoon dried
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup (about 4 thin slices) fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bottled chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 thick slices slab smoked bacon, cut ¼-inch thick
- ¾ cup sour cream, at room temperature
- Hot Hot Tomato Chutney
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the bacon, sour cream, and chutney. Mix well. Shape the mixture to fit into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover the top with the bacon slices, tucking the bacon between the meat loaf and sides of the pan.
Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Remove and discard the bacon. Using a bulb baster, suction off and reserve the cooking liquid. Let stand, then skim off the fat from the top.
Measure ¼ cup of the cooking liquid and stir into the reserved sour cream. Blend thoroughly and serve with the meat loaf, accompanied by the chutney.
1997 Christopher Idone