- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 81 Times
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound lean ground veal
- ½ pound lean ground pork
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves or ½ teaspoon dried
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup (about 4 thin slices) fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bottled chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 thick slices slab smoked bacon, cut ¼-inch thick
- ¾ cup sour cream, at room temperature
- Hot Hot Tomato Chutney
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the bacon, sour cream, and chutney. Mix well. Shape the mixture to fit into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover the top with the bacon slices, tucking the bacon between the meat loaf and sides of the pan.
Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Remove and discard the bacon. Using a bulb baster, suction off and reserve the cooking liquid. Let stand, then skim off the fat from the top.
Measure ¼ cup of the cooking liquid and stir into the reserved sour cream. Blend thoroughly and serve with the meat loaf, accompanied by the chutney.
© 1997 Christopher Idone
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving and does not include Hot Hot Tomato Chutney. For nutritional information on Hot Hot Tomato Chutney, please follow the link above.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox