This simple dish makes a nourishing family meal. Good with a green salad or garlic bread.
- 1 lb (450g) elbow macaroni
- 6 tbsp butter, plus more for the dish
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1¾ cup whole milk, warmed
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 oz (115g) fresh mozzarella cheese, drained and finely diced
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook for 2 minutes less than the time on the package instructions. Drain well.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and butter a 3qt (3 liter) ovenproof serving dish. Melt 2 tbsp of the butter in a frying pan. Add the bread crumbs, stir well until coated. Let cool.
3. Melt 4 tbsp butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and cook without browning for 30 seconds. Stir in the mustard and nutmeg. Remove the pan from the heat and slowly whisk in the milk. Return the pan to the heat and bring the mixture to the summer, whisking almost constantly. Cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the Cheddar cheese until melted. Stir in the macaroni and mozzarella. Transfer to the baking dish and smooth the surface.
4. Stir the Parmesan cheese into the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the macaroni and cheese. Place the dish on a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, or until heated through and golden brown on top. Let stand for 2 minutes. Serve straight from the dish.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.