- Course: Antipasto/Mezze, Appetizer
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Splurge
- Favorited: 3 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Insalata di Aragosta con Peperoni Arrostiti
The sweet richness of the lobster and the pungent, smoky flavor of the peppers, so vibrantly and deeply colored in contrast to the creamy white, pink-tinged lobster meat make an astonishingly good combination. There is no need for salt, garlic, or onion. The natural intensity of both the lobster and the peppers is more than sufficient; another bold element would only be an intrusion. But a touch of sweet fresh basil marries the flavors in a lovely way.
1. Roast the , then peel and seed them as directed. Cut them into strips about 1 1/2 inch wide and 2 inches long and set aside.
2. While the peppers are roasting, pour water to a depth of 1-inch in the bottom of a steamer pan with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a boil. Place the live lobsters in the steamer insert and cover the steamer. Close any vent holes on the lid. Cook over medium heat until the lobsters turn bright red, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Remove the lobsters from the pot and, when they are cool enough to handle, remove the tail and claw meat from the shells. Remove the intestinal vein that runs down the center of each tail. Cut the lobster meat into bite-sized pieces.
4. In an attractive serving bowl, combine the lobster meat with the pepper strips. Drizzle with olive oil to taste and then the lemon juice. Sprinkle with the basil. Serve warm or at room temperature.
peppersAHEAD-OF-TIME NOTE: This dish can be assembled up to 8 hours in advance, covered, and refrigerated. The peppers can be roasted, cleaned, and cut 3 to 4 days in advance. Bring the dish to room temperature before serving.
Nutritional information includes 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil per serving to drizzle on peppers and lobster. This recipe serves 4.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox