- Course: Appetizer, Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 23 Times
This is a great pasta dish to serve for company. Chances are good that you'll find the Asian ingredients— increasingly carried by everyday food shops—at your local supermarket. We used the Thai Kitchen brand, which is widely available.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (4-inch-long) fresh hot red chile, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced separately
- 1 lb sea scallops, tough muscle removed from side of each if necessary
- 3/4 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 (14-oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 12 oz dried thin linguine
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté chile and white parts of scallions, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
Pat scallops and shrimp dry separately and season with salt. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in same skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook scallops until browned, 2 to 3 minutes on each side (scallops will be almost cooked through). Transfer scallops to a bowl with slotted spoon and sauté shrimp in same skillet, stirring occasionally, until almost cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add shrimp to scallops.
Add coconut milk, curry paste, broth, brown sugar, fish sauce, and lime juice to skillet, then simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook linguine in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente, then drain in a colander.
Stir scallops and shrimp with any liquid in bowl into sauce in skillet and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until scallops and shrimp are just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer seafood to a clean bowl with slotted spoon and add linguine and cilantro to sauce in skillet, tossing to coat.
Divide pasta and sauce among 4 bowls. Top with seafood and sprinkle with scallion greens and chile mixture.
© 2004 Condast Publications
Nutritional information is based on 4 servings.