- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 2 cups fresh lima beans (from 2 pounds in the pod)
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallots
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sliced opal basil
- 2 tablespoons sliced flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
To cook the lima beans
Heat a medium saucepan over high heat for 1 minute. Swirl in 2 tablespoons olive oil, and add the onion, garlic, and thyme. Sauté over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the beans, and cook a few minutes, stirring often to coat the beans with the onion and oil. Season with salt and pepper, and add enough water to cover the beans by a few inches. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes, until the beans are just tender. Cool and store the beans in the cooking liquid.
To make the salad
Combine the shallots, lemon juice, and a teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Let sit 5 minutes. Whisk in 5 tablespoons olive oil. Drain the cooled beans well and toss them with this vinaigrette and a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning and stir in the herbs.
Nutritional information is based on 1/2 teaspoon added salt.