- Course: Side Dish, Tapas/Small Plates
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 32 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Preserved lemons are available at Mediterranean grocers.
Good with grilled lamb chops, or with firm oily fish, such as swordfish or mackerel.
1. Bring the lentils with enough cold water to cover to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer about 15 minutes until tender. Drain, rinse under cold water, and let cool.
2. Whisk the vinegar and oil in a bowl. Add the lentils, ½ cup of cilantro, the preserved lemons, and half of the shallot. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Melt the butter in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the almonds and cook, stirring often, until golden brown. Drain and cool on paper towels. Stir the almonds into the lentil salad. Let stand for 10 minutes or so to let the flavors blend.
4. Scatter the remaining onion and cilantro over the salad and serve at room temperature.
Prepare ahead: The salad can be prepared several hours in advance. Cover and refrigerate until required.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.