- Course: Appetizer
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 31 Times
Miso, a fermented paste made from soy beans, grain, salt, and bacteria, comes in a full range of flavors and colors. White miso, also called shiro miso or simply rice and soybean miso, has a lighter flavor than dark miso. This light and lemony soup takes no time to make. It was served for lunch at a yoga retreat with fresh pea-and-zucchini salad, dense whole grain bread, and fresh unsalted butter. It tasted so wonderful. Try serving this soup alongside a couscous salad with garbanzo beans or a sandwich spread with hummus and topped with grilled vegetables.
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 12 ounces (350 g) soft, medium, or firm tofu, cut into ½-inch (1.2-cm) cubes (about ½ cups)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (about ½ cup)
- 4-5 tablespoons white miso, depending on saltiness
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne (optional)
Japanese Miso Soup:
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 1-2 pieces wakame seaweed (cover with hot water, soak 10 minutes or until soft, and cut into 1-inch [2.5-cm] pieces) ½ pound (250 g) firm tofu (cut into ½-inch [1.2-cm] cubes)
- 2 thinly sliced green onions
- 3 tablespoons white or dark miso
Put water in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to boil.
Stir in tofu and green onions.
Reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, 3 minutes.
Put miso in a small strainer, lower into soup, and push paste through strainer with a spoon until it dissolves.
Turn off heat. Miso should not be boiled or overcooked because too much heat destroys its enzymatic properties.
Stir in cilantro and lemon juice. Serve immediately.
For Japanese Miso Soup:
Follow method described for Lemony Miso Soup, adding wakame at the end.
Mind Refresher: Make the soup with the attitude of nourishing others.
© 2008 Sharon Louise Crayton
Nutritional information is based on the Lemony Miso Soup.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox