- 1 lb (500 g) boneless turkey breast, with skin, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless turkey thigh, with skin, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried thyme
- 1¼ tsp (6 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) fresh bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil
- Sliced Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- 8 hamburger buns
- Sliced red onion
- Romaine lettuce
- Food grinder
1. Place turkey breast and thigh in a shallow container in the freezer for 30 minutes to facilitate grinding. Attach the food grinder, with the coarse plate, to the grinder. Set to speed 4 and run turkey through the grinder into a large bowl. Sprinkle with lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper; mix together with your hands. Freeze for 30 minutes, then run through the grinder one more time into a bowl. Add bread crumbs and mix together with your hands. Form into 8 patties, each about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick, creating a slight depression in the middle of each one to ensure even cooking.
2. In a large skillet with a lid, heat a thin layer of oil over medium heat. Add 4 of the patties. Cover and cook, flipping once, until no longer pink inside, about 4 minutes per side. Top each patty with cheese, if desired. Cover and cook until just melted. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with remaining patties.
3. Serve on buns, topped with mayonnaise, red onion and lettuce.