- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 26 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
With its creamy lemon filling, this tart is perfect with seasonal fruit.
1. To make the filling, whisk the sugar and eggs, then whisk in the lemon zest and juice. Whisk in the cream. Cover and refrigerate while making the pastry shell.
2. To make the dough, stir the flour and sugar together in a bowl. Add the butter and rub it with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Mix the egg yolk with 3 tbsp cold water. Add to the flour mixture and stir until the dough comes together.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 1/8 in (3mm) round circle and use to line a 9in (23cm) tart pan with a removable bottom. Prick it lightly all over with a fork. Chill for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line the dough with wax paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for 10 minutes more, until the crust is golden and crisp. Remove from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 275°F (140°C).
5. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet. Pour the chilled lemon mixture into the pastry shell, taking care that the filling doesn't spill over the edges. Bake for 30 minutes, or until just set. Let cool, remove the sides of the pan and serve.
Prepare ahead: The tart can be refrigerated for up to 2 days; serve at room temperature.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox