Lemon and poppy seeds are a classic combination for a reason! When deciding on a sweetener, keep in mind that concentrated fruit juice will create a sweeter result than agave syrup, and maple syrup will lend a richer, full-bodied flavor equal in sweetness to the fruit juice. Choose accordingly, depending on your preference.
- 1½ cups brown rice flour
- ¾ cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup agave syrup, maple syrup, or concentrated pear juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon oil
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Combine the brown rice flour, garbanzo bean flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the canola oil, water, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, agave syrup, and lemon oil. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the canola oil mixture until thoroughly combined. Mix in the poppy seeds.
3. Divide the batter evenly among 12 lined or greased muffin tin cups. Bake until muffin tops are golden and firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes.