This aïoli has a creamy texture balanced by a lemony tang and plenty of pungent garlic.
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Taste and Texturecreamy, garlicky, rich, savory, tangy
Type of DishCondiments, dip/spread
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed, torn into large pieces
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Finely grated zest of 6 lemons
- 4½ cups prepared mayonnaise, such as Hellmann’s
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Soak the bread in the milk in a bowl for 1 minute. Squeeze the bread well to remove as much milk as possible and place it in a food processor along with the garlic and lemon zest. Pulse the machine on and off about 5 times to combine the ingredients.
Add the mayonnaise and process until smooth.
With the motor running, drizzle the olive oil through the feed tube and process until smooth.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate. This will keep for up to 2 days.
2003 Sheila Lukins