This flavorful, tangy lemon curd is adapted from a recipe in Gourmet magazine. It’s a snap to prepare. I dub this topping “nectar of the gods,” and it’s best applied to lemon or vanilla cupcakes.
- ½ cup (125 ml) superfine sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cornstarch
- 2 tsp (10 ml) finely grated lemon zest
- ½ cup (125 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1. In a heavy saucepan, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in lemon zest and juice and egg yolks until well combined. Whisk in butter and cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, for 6 minutes or until lemon mixture is thick enough to hold marks of whisk.
2. Transfer lemon curd to a bowl, placing plastic wrap directly on surface. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until cold.
Variation: Substitute lime zest and lime juice for the lemon zest and lemon juice.
Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 4 teaspoons Lemon Curd.