Leah Darby’s Chowchow
Serve with Black Eyed Peas.
Serves6 to 8
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Recipe Courseside dish
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturecrunchy, salty, sharp, sweet
Type of DishCondiments
- 4 medium-size firm tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cucumbers-peeled, cut lengthwise, seeded, and chopped
- 5 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
Place the vegetables on a large chopping board. Roughly chop the vegetables. Sprinkle with 2½ tablespoons of the vinegar and lightly season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue chopping until the vegetables take on a consistency of a relish, add the remaining vinegar and seasonings. Spoon the chowchow into a bowl, cover, and chill for 1 hour.