- Course: Main Course, Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 25 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Slow Cooker Size: 3½ to 4 quart
Pesto and sun-dried tomatoes join forces with buttery Yukon Gold potatoes for a dish that can be enjoyed as an entrée or a side.
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and cook 1 minute longer; set aside.
2. Lightly oil a 3½- to 4-quart slow cooker. Arrange one half of the potatoes in the bottom of the insert. Top with half of the onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper and dot with half of the pesto. Top with a layer of the remaining potatoes, the remaining onion mixture, and the remaining pesto and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours, until the potatoes are tender.
3. In a small skillet, toast the bread crumbs in the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until golden brown. Set aside.
4. When ready to serve, top evenly with the bread crumbs.
To make the pesto, combine the garlic and pine nuts in a food processor or blender and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the basil, salt, and pepper to taste and process until ground into a paste. With the machine running, stream in the olive oil through the feed tube, processing until well blended. Set aside until ready to serve the soup.
This recipe serves 6 and includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.