- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 24 Times
Broil these, grill them, or pan-grill them. Any way you cook them, the outside will become crisp, the mozzarella will melt, and the inside will stay pink. A good way to wean kids from McDonald’s.
- Coarse salt (optional)
- ¼ pound smoked mozzarella
- 1 pound ground lamb, or a little more
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Start a charcoal or wood fire or preheat a gas grill or broiler; the fire should be moderately hot. Or heat a large skillet over medium-high heat for 3 or 4 minutes before you start cooking, then sprinkle it with coarse salt.
2. Cut the cheese into 4 pieces and form the meat into patties around each one; season with salt and pepper.
3. Grill, broil, or pan-grill, 2 to 4 inches from the heat source, for about 3 or 4 minutes per side, or until the outside feels very firm. If you like your meat on the well-done side, move the burgers to a lower heat and cook an additional minute or two longer per side.
© 1998 Mark Bittman
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, but does not include optional coarse salt.