- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 15 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 24 Times
Broil these, grill them, or pan-grill them. Any way you cook them, the outside will become crisp, the mozzarella will melt, and the inside will stay pink. A good way to wean kids from McDonald’s.
- Coarse salt (optional)
- ¼ pound smoked mozzarella
- 1 pound ground lamb, or a little more
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Start a charcoal or wood fire or preheat a gas grill or broiler; the fire should be moderately hot. Or heat a large skillet over medium-high heat for 3 or 4 minutes before you start cooking, then sprinkle it with coarse salt.
2. Cut the cheese into 4 pieces and form the meat into patties around each one; season with salt and pepper.
3. Grill, broil, or pan-grill, 2 to 4 inches from the heat source, for about 3 or 4 minutes per side, or until the outside feels very firm. If you like your meat on the well-done side, move the burgers to a lower heat and cook an additional minute or two longer per side.
© 1998 Mark Bittman
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, but does not include optional coarse salt.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox