- Course: Hors D'oeuvre, Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 15 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Middle Eastern spices flavor these tender, ground lamb kebabs. A raita of cucumber and yogurt is the ideal accompaniment.
1. Soak 16 wooden sticks in hot water for at least 30 minutes. Soak the bread in the milk for 5 minutes.
2. Combine the ground lamb, cilantro, parsley, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Squeeze the milk from the bread, add the bread to the bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands. Discard any remaining milk.
3. Using wet hands, roll the mixture into 16 balls. Carefully slide each ball onto a wooden skewer.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler and position the rack about 4in (10cm) from the source of heat. Line the broiler pan with aluminum foil and lightly oil.
5. Put the koftas on the pan and broil, turning frequently, for about 8 minutes for medium-rare, or 10 minutes for well done. Transfer to a platter. Mix the yogurt and cucumber with a little salt to taste and serve on the side.
Caution: soak the wooden sticks in water to prevent them from burning.
Prepare ahead: The shaped koftas can be refrigerated up to 1 day before cooking. The sauce can be made an hour or two in advance.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox