Chermoula is a Moroccan herb and spice sauce that works well as a marinade.
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp smoked sweet paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 lamb rib chops
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. To make the chermoula, combine the red onion, ½ cup of the oil, 3 tbsp each of the mint and cilantro, the lemon zest and juice, the garlic, cumin, coriander, and paprika in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add the lamb chops and mix well to coat in the chermoula. Let stand 30 minutes.
2. Mix the tomatoes, vinegar, remaining 2 tbsp oil, and 1 tbsp each mint and cilantro in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
3. Preheat a broiler or build a hot fire in an outdoor grill. Remove the chops from the marinade. Broil or grill for about 5 minutes per side, until browned.
4. Serve the lamb hot, with the tomato salad.