Korean-Style Cucumber Salad
Published by Knopf
I use pickling cucumbers for this salad. As a substitute you may use European cucumbers or regular cucumbers with their seeds removed.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party
Dietary Considerationvegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecrisp, hot & spicy, light, savory, tart
Type of Dishfirst course salad
- 3 pounds pickling cucumbers, peeled
- 1 medium-sized onion, peeled
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3½ tablespoons lemon juice
- About ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons crushed, roasted sesame seeds
- 1½ tablespoons sesame oil
Cut the cucumbers and onion into very fine slices (a food processor may be used for this).
Sprinkle with salt, mix well, and set aside in a bowl for an hour.
Drain all the accumulated liquid and discard.
Add the lemon juice, cayenne pepper (Koreans like this dish very hot), sesame seeds, and sesame oil.
Mix well, cover, and refrigerate.
Serve cold or at room temperature.
1981 Madhur Jaffrey