King Crab Dynamite Roll
This uniquely named sushi was born out of a sushi chef’s professional struggles. Enjoy the tiny explosions and the dynamite flavor.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCocktail Party, Cooking for a date
Recipe Courseappetizer, main course
Dietary Considerationappetizer, main course
Taste and Texturechewy, creamy, crisp, rich, savory, tangy, umami
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup tobik-ko (flying fish roe)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1½ cups high-quality crab meat (Dungeness, blue, or Alaskan king crab) (7 ounces) or canned crabmeat
- ½ cup toasted white sesame seeds
- 6 cups (lightly packed) prepared sushi rice (7/8 cup, 4.2 ounces, per roll)
- 7 half-sheets nori (laver); choose the thicker variety
Mix the mayonnaise, tobik-ko, sesame oil, and soy sauce in a bowl. Have the crabmeat, dynamite sauce, and white sesame seeds on a tray, then follow the Master Recipe.
Preheat the broiler or toaster oven. Cut each roll into six equal pieces. Arrange the pieces cut side down on an oven dish and smear the top of each piece with the dynamite sauce. Cook the sushi briefly until the surface acquires a golden brown hue.
You can prepare the rolls several hours in advance. After removing them from the refrigerator, cut them into pieces and follow the instructions above.
2006 Hiroko Shimbo