- Course: Hot Appetizer, Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 44 Times
Your guests will return their forks over and over to this delectable fresh crab fondue, relishing every bite. It works best to dry the sourdough bread cubes slightly so the coating clings to them nicely. Serve with a bountiful salad of field greens, avocado slices, and pink grapefruit segments or red and gold cherry tomatoes. Follow the fondue with a lemon tart or a dessert fondue.
- 8 ounces Jarlsberg cheese
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups dry white wine, such as Rhine Riesling
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1½, cups fresh crabmeat, shredded and picked over for shells
- Dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and white pepper (optional)
- 2 sourdough baguettes, cut into bitesize cubes, each with some crust on
Shred both cheeses coarsely or dice them into ¼-inch pieces. Toss the shredded cheese lightly with the cornstarch until evenly coated.
Pour the wine into a fondue pot and set over low heat until bubbles rise. Gradually add the cheese, a handful at a time, stirring each time until the cheese is completely melted. Avoid letting the mixture come to a boil.
Stir in the sherry and crabmeat. Sprinkle with nutmeg and season to taste with salt and white pepper, if using.
Serve with a basket of crusty bread cubes to dunk into the sauce.
© 2005 Lou Seibert Pappas
This recipe serves 6, does not include optional salt, but does include two 16 oz baguettes.