- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 10 Times
A meat loaf is a wonderful palette for any of your favorite flavors. Hot or cold, this one is certain to be a crowd pleaser.
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasonings
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup tomato juice
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 4 ounces sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil), drained
- 1 pound smoked mozzarella, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Combine the ground beef, sausage, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, parsley, Italian seasonings, and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add the eggs, tomato juice, and wine and mix thoroughly.
3. Layout 1 large sheet of waxed paper or parchment paper. Spread the meat loaf mixture out in a 15 × 12-inch rectangle on the waxed paper. Arrange the basil leaves over the surface. Scatter the sun-dried tomatoes over the basil and arrange three-fourths of the smoked mozzarella on top.
4. Using the waxed paper as an aid and starting from one short side, roll up the meat like a jelly roll. Peel back the paper as you roll. Place seam side down on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
5. Bake 1 hour. Place the remaining smoked mozzarella over the top of the loaf and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 10 minutes more. Serve the meat loaf hot with Fresh Tomato Sauce, or refrigerate the meat loaf until cold and cut into thin slices like a pate.
© 1984, 1985 Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins
Nutritional information is based on 10 servings and 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.