- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 85 Times
Based on a classic Indian dish called Murg Massalam, this recipe can be roasted, broiled, or grilled.
- 1 chicken, about 3¾ lb (1.75kg), cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
- ¼ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
1. With a sharp knife, make a few shallow slashes in the chicken flesh and place in a nonmetallic dish.
2. To make the marinade, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over the chicken, and toss until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a deep roasting pan with foil. Arrange the chicken in the pan. Pour about 2/3 cup water into the pan to form a shallow layer. Spoon any remaining marinade over the chicken. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken pieces are golden and crisp show no sign of pink when pierced at the bone. Serve hot or cold.
Variation: Grilled Garlic Chicken
Roast the chicken for 35 minutes. Build a fire on an outdoor grill. Grill, the chicken, turning occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. To broil, position a broiler rack 8in (20cm) from the heat and line the rack with foil. Broil the chicken, turning often, until almost cooked through, about 35 minutes. Move the rack 2in (5cm) closer to the heat and grill until browned, about 5 minutes more.
Freezing Information: Can be frozen up to 1 month.
Good with basmati rice, flavored with a cinnamon stick and a few cardamom pods, a green salad, and naan bread.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley