- Course: Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 24 Times
This fragrant, Indian-inspired, side dish is simple and delicious. Try using orange cauliflower when making this recipe; it tastes the same as white and it looks beautiful with the black mustard seeds.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 head white or orange cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden. Add the cauliflower, coriander, turmeric, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the water and simmer until the cauliflower is tender and most of the water is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. In a small skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the mustard seeds and cook for 2 minutes.
3. To serve, transfer the cauliflower to a serving platter, drizzle with the mustard seed mixture and sprinkle with cilantro, if using. Serve hot.
© 2011 Betsy DiJulio
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox