Indian Cauliflower with Black Mustard Seeds
This fragrant, Indian-inspired, side dish is simple and delicious. Try using orange cauliflower when making this recipe; it tastes the same as white and it looks beautiful with the black mustard seeds.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
Recipe Courseside dish
Dietary Considerationside dish
Taste and Texturecrisp, spiced
Type of Dishvegetable
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 head white or orange cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden. Add the cauliflower, coriander, turmeric, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the water and simmer until the cauliflower is tender and most of the water is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes.
In a small skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the mustard seeds and cook for 2 minutes.
To serve, transfer the cauliflower to a serving platter, drizzle with the mustard seed mixture and sprinkle with cilantro, if using. Serve hot.
2011 Betsy DiJulio