This versatile spread has many applications. Serve it as an appetizer with sliced vegetables, as a dip for crackers or in a pita. It can be stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days.
- 1 can (14 to 19 oz/398 to 540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed (see Notes), or 1 cup (250 mL) dried chickpeas, soaked, cooked and drained
- ¼ cup (50 mL) tahini
- ¼ cup (50 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Half roasted red bell pepper, peeled and thinly sliced (see Notes)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt, or to taste
- Water, optional
1. In food processor or blender, combine chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and garlic and process until smooth.
2. Add roasted red peppers, ground cumin and salt and process until smooth. If you prefer a creamier consistency, add water, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time, processing until the desired texture is achieved.
3. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Hummus with Black Olives: Substitute ½ cup (125 mL) chopped pitted kalamata olives for the red pepper.
Lemony Hummus: Substitute 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated lemon zest for the red pepper.
Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 1/4 cup.