- Course: Antipasto/Mezze, Snack
- Total Time: Under 15 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 60 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
This versatile spread has many applications. Serve it as an appetizer with sliced vegetables, as a dip for crackers or in a pita. It can be stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days.
1. In food processor or blender, combine chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and garlic and process until smooth.
2. Add roasted red peppers, ground cumin and salt and process until smooth. If you prefer a creamier consistency, add water, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time, processing until the desired texture is achieved.
3. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Hummus with Black Olives: Substitute ½ cup (125 mL) chopped pitted kalamata olives for the red pepper.
Lemony Hummus: Substitute 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated lemon zest for the red pepper.
Because can sizes vary, we provide a range of amounts for beans in our recipes. If you’re using the larger size, you may want to adjust the seasoning by adding a pinch of cumin and salt.
You can use bottled roasted red bell peppers in this hummus or roast your own (see Roasted Bell Peppers).
Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 1/4 cup.