Hot Hot Tomato Chutney
Total Timea day or more
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturehot & spicy, savory, tangy, tart
Type of DishCondiments, dip/spread
- 6 pounds (8 or 9 large) ripe tomatoes, cored and chopped
- ½ pound (2 medium) yellow onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and grated (about ½ cup)
- ¾ cup golden raisins
- 2 whole poblano chile peppers, seeded
- ¼ cup Oriental hot red chili paste
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
Place all the ingredients except the brown sugar and vinegar in a large nonreactive stockpot and bring to a boil over high heat.
In a small nonreactive bowl, dissolve the sugar in the vinegar and stir into the kettle. Reduce the heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, until the chutney is the consistency of jam, about 1½ hours or longer.
Remove the poblano chile peppers and discard. Ladle enough the hot chutney into sterilized pint jars to come within 1/8-inch of their tops. Wipe the rims and seal with the lids. Refrigerate after cooling. (Keeps for 4 to 6 weeks.)
Serve with meat loaf cold meat dishes, and hamburgers.
1997 Christopher Idone