I like to make this almost as much for the fragrance it gives off while it cooks as for its delicious end results. I prefer a less sweet applesauce and use only ¼ cup sugar. If you like it sweeter, add more sugar.
- 3 pounds large cooking apples, such as Granny Smith or Rome Beauty, peeled, cored, and diced
- ¼ cup sugar or a natural sweetener, or more to taste
- ½ cup apple juice or water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
1. Combine all the ingredients in a 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours, until the apples are very soft.
2. Remove the lid and allow to cool completely. Serve at room temperature or transfer to glass jars or other tightly covered containers and refrigerate until ready to use. Properly stored, it will keep for up to 2 weeks.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.