Herbed Roasted Vegetables with Feta and Olives
This is a wonderful Greek-style one-dish meal or a side dish for a party. Roasting brings out the flavors of the vegetables. You can prepare all the vegetables except the potatoes ahead of time.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course, vegetable
Dietary Considerationmain course, vegetable
Taste and Texturecheesy, garlicky, herby, savory
Type of Dishvegetable
- 1½ pounds tiny red or fingerling potatoes, halved or chunked
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic heads, separated into cloves and peeled
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1½-inch squares
- 1 eggplant, trimmed and cut into 1½-inch pieces
- ¾ pound baby carrots
- ½ pound green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs, such as Greek oregano, marjoram, thyme, and rosemary
- ¼ pound feta, crumbled
- 1 cup pitted Greek olives
- Chopped fresh basil or flat-leaf parsley for garnish
Position the oven racks so that they are evenly spaced. Preheat the oven to convection bake at 475°F. Cover two rimmed baking sheets with foil and coat with nonstick spray.
If preparing the vegetables ahead of time, put the potatoes in water to cover with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Combine all the remaining vegetables in a large bowl with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs. (Drain the potatoes well and add to the vegetables at this point if they are prepared more than an hour in advance.)
Divide the vegetables between the prepared pans. Spread the vegetables in an even layer.
Roast on the center or lower oven rack for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once, or until the vegetables are browned on the edges and can be pierced easily with a fork. Sprinkle with the feta and roast for 5 more minutes or just until the feta is soft. Remove from the oven and top with the olives and chopped basil.
2005 Beatrice Ojakangas