These homemade crackers have enough personality to stand on their own but they also go well with a roasted garlic and white bean dip or an olive spread.
- 6 (each about 1 oz/30 g) whole wheat pitas
- ¼ (50 ml) cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) minced green onion (white and light green parts only)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh basil leaves (or 1 tsp/5ml dried)
- ¼ (1 ml) tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- Large rimmed baking sheet, ungreased
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
1. Cut pitas into quarters. Separate the top and bottom pieces. Place on baking sheet in a single layer, without overlapping if possible. Lightly brush with olive oil and sprinkle evenly with green onion, basil, salt and pepper.
2. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 12 minutes or until light brown and crisp. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes before serving or storing (see Notes).
Variation: Use 1 tsp (5 ml) garlic salt instead of sea salt, flavored oils instead of olive oil or any herb of your choice instead of basil, following the proportions in this recipe.
Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 4 chips.