- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 11 Times
These are fish sticks for grown-ups. Good with tartar sauce and a fresh tossed salad.
- 1½ cups fresh bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley, plus sprigs for serving
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 12 oz (325g) white fish fillets, such as haddock, cod, or flounder
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges, to garnish
1. Mix the bread crumbs, parsley, and smoked paprika well into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
2. Spread the flour in another bowl. Whisk the eggs and 2 tbsp water in another bowl.
3. Slice the fish into strips about ½ in (1cm) wide. In batches, coat the fish in the flour. Dip in the egg, then coat with the bread crumbs. Spread them, without touching each other, on a baking sheet.
4. Add enough oil to come 1 in (2.5cm) up the sides of a large, deep saucepan and heat over high heat to 350°F (180°C). In batches, add the fish and deep-fry, turning once, about 2 minutes, until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Transfer to a platter and garnish with the parsley. Serve hot, with the lemon wedges.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving and 1 cup added oil for frying.