- Course: Main Course, Side Dish, Snack
- Total Time: Under 15 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 7 Times
This quick recipe makes a great meal or a satisfying snack, especially when you don’t feel like using utensils. The leaves of romaine lettuce hearts are the perfect little vessel for any kind of filling. They’re like crunchy taco shells, but without the extra starchy carbs, and all you have to do is pull them apart. This version of guacamole is loaded up with healthy herbs and brightened with plenty of lime; the juicy jicama on top adds even more crunchiness.
- 6 ripe avocados
- 2 large handfuls cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 large handful parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
- 2 teaspoons plus one pinch sea salt
- 2 cups julienned jicama
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 heads of romaine hearts
- Additional parsley or cilantro, for garnish
In a large bowl, mash the avocados well with a fork.
Add the cilantro, parsley, ¼ cup of the lime juice, jalapeno, and 2 teaspoons of salt, and stir well to combine.
In a separate bowl, toss the jicama with the remaining tablespoon of lime juice, the cayenne and a pinch of salt.
Separate the romaine leaves. Fill each leaf with a few spoonfuls of the avocado and arrange on a serving platter. Top with the jicama and additional parsley or cilantro leaves.
© 2009 77 Lucky Cows, Inc.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox