- Course: Hors D'oeuvre, Tapas/Small Plates
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 21 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
You will most likely have everything you need to make this dish right in your refrigerator. You can spice it up with different herbs and pickles or make it plain and simple with mayo, mustard and a little salt and pepper. Try topping them with slices of pickled okra, cornichons or a few capers.
1. Place the eggs in a saucepan with enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring the water to a low boil over medium heat. Turn the heat off, cover and let the eggs sit in the water 12 minutes longer. Drain the eggs and rinse under cold running water. Let the eggs sit in cold water until completely cool. Remove the eggs from the water and gently crack both ends of each egg and carefully remove the shell. Place them on a paper towel to drain.
2. Cut the eggs in half lengthwise. Scoop the yolks out into a medium bowl, being careful to keep the whites intact. Place the whites on a plate and set aside.
3. Add the pickles, mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, chives, vinegar, cayenne, salt and pepper to the egg yolks and use a fork to mash the ingredients together until you have a smooth paste.
4. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the yolk mixture back into the hole left in the egg whites and refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
5. Top each egg with a sprinkle of chopped herbs and season with additional salt and pepper if desired just before serving.
Nutritional information is based on 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox