- 6 chicken thighs, roasted and shredded, bone and skin discarded
- 1 cup minced onions
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 small yellow squash, cut into ¼-inch dice (1 cup)
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 4 cups Basic Chicken Broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup cored, seeded, and minced green bell pepper
- ¼ cup minced fresh basil
- 1 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (12 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons hot chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
In a soup pot, combine the chicken, onions, 2 tablespoons of the garlic, the yellow squash, okra, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are very tender. Remove the bay leaves. Set aside.
Just before serving, reheat the soup, then warm the oil in a large skillet and sauté the green bell pepper, remaining garlic, basil, and shrimp until the shrimp are just pink. Add the hot chili sauce, the lemon juice, salt, and the contents of the skillet to the hot soup.
Nutritional information does not include Basic Chicken Broth. For nutritional information on Basic Chicken Broth, please follow the link above.