Haricots Verts in Mustard Sauce
These delicate green beans are prepared quickly in their rich mustard sauce. Just right to serve with a roast leg of lamb.
4 to 6 portions
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together, Formal Dinner Party
Recipe Courseside dish, vegetable
Dietary Considerationside dish, vegetable
Taste and Texturebuttery, creamy
Type of Dishvegetable
- 12 ounces haricots verts (thin, tender green beans)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- ½ cup chicken stock or canned broth
- 3 tablespoons heavy or whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, and add the green beans. Reduce the heat and simmer 3 to 5 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, and pat dry. Set aside.
Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan, and add the shallots. Sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes.
Stir in the stock, cream, and mustard, and cook until the mixture is just slightly thickened, 5 minutes. Then add the beans and toss them in the sauce until well coated and heated through, 2 minutes.
Season the beans with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
1989 Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins