- Course: Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 2 Times
- 2 slices bacon
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels (white, yellow, or a combination)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion (for about ½ cup chopped)
- 1 medium-size zucchini (for about 1 cup pieces; see Note)
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence or dried basil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Cover a microwave-safe plate with paper towels. Place the bacon on the plate, cover with another paper towel, and microwave on high power until just crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
2. Place the corn in a colander and rinse it with warm water to partially defrost. Set aside to drain well.
3. Combine the oil and butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. While the oil mixture is heating, peel and coarsely chop the onion, adding it to the skillet as you chop. Cut the zucchini into bite-size pieces. Add the zucchini to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add the corn and herbes de Provence and stir to mix well. Cover and steam until heated through, about 4 minutes.
5. Crumble the bacon over the vegetables and toss to mix well. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve at once.
Any fresh vegetable can be substituted for the zucchini: 1 cup chopped green or red bell pepper, sliced carrots (which will take a bit longer to cook), or even chopped fresh spinach.
The secret ingredients are the herbes de Provence and the finish of bacon. Who would know this was so quick to prepare when it looks and tastes as if it took hours?
© 2005 Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.