This recipe was inspired by my dear friend and colleague Itza Gutierrez, who loves the combination of avocado and alfalfa sprouts. Add melted Swiss cheese, and you have one incredible sandwich.
- 4 slices sourdough bread (½-inch/1 cm thick slices)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter, melted
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) spicy mustard
- 2 oz (60 g) Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 oz (30 g) deli baked ham, thinly sliced
- 1 oz (30 g) deli baked turkey, thinly sliced
- 1 small avocado, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (125 ml) alfalfa sprouts
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
Preheat panini grill to high.
1. Brush one side of each bread slice with butter. Place two slices on a work surface, buttered side down, and spread with mustard. Evenly layer with cheese, ham, turkey, avocado and sprouts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with top halves, buttered side up, and press gently to pack.
2. Place sandwiches in grill, close the top plate and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.
Variation: This sandwich can quickly go vegetarian if you omit the ham and turkey. Add a thin slice of firm tofu for protein.