Halibut with Chunky Romesco
A deliciously fresh but gutsy dish, and great for a midweek supper or dinner with friends.
Preparation Time10 min
Preparation Time - Text10 mins
Cooking Time30 min
Cooking Time - Text30
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationmain course
Taste and Texturenutty
- 6 thick halibut fillets, about 5 oz (140g) each
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- ½ cup coarsely chopped natural almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- One 12 oz (350g) jar roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Pinch of smoked paprika
Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Brush the bottom of a 13 × 9in (33 × 23cm) baking dish with 1 tbsp of the oil. Add the fish, skinned side down. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large, heavy frying pan over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs, almonds, and garlic and cook, stirring often, until golden. Stir in the parsley. Spoon the mixture over the fish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 minutes more, until the fish is opaque when pierced with a knife.
Meanwhile, to make the romesco sauce, pulse the red peppers, oil, vinegar, cayenne, and paprika in a food processor. Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl.
Remove the fish from the oven and drizzle with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Serve hot, topped with the romesco sauce.
2008 Dorling Kindersley