- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 1 Time
Poussin (baby chicken) weigh barely one pound each.
- 4 poussins, about 1 lb (450g) each
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried tarragon, crumbled
- 1 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
1. Position the rack about 6in (15cm) from the source of heat and preheat the broiler. Cut each poussin in half lengthwise. Season with salt and pepper. Place the poussins, skin side down, on an oiled broiler pan. Broil 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the butter, and stir in the lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, tarragon, and thyme. Brush the poussins with some of the butter mixture. Turn them skin side up, and brush again. Broil about 12 minutes more, basting occasionally with the butter mixture, or until golden brown and the juices run clear when pierced with a sharp knife.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.