- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Splurge
- Favorited: 27 Times
- 1 leg of lamb (5 to 6 pounds), butterflied
- 1 ¼ cups olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon lemon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly milled pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest of 1/2 navel orange, finely diced
- 12 large basil leaves, cut into fine ribbons
- Grill with charcoal
- Small bundle of dry grapevine clippings that have been soaked in water for 2 hours.
Place the leg of lamb in a shallow baking pan. In a bowl, combine the olive oil, rosemary, lemon, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
Pour the oil mixture over the lamb, turning the meat from side to side until well coated. Cover and marinate for 2 hours, 1 hour in the refrigerator and 1 hour at room temperature.
Prepare the charcoal grill. Preheat the oven to 250°. When the coals reach a dusty red glow, add a small bundle of grapevine clippings.
Brush the grill with olive oil. Season the meat with salt. Place the meat on the grill and cook for 15 minutes on each side. Transfer the meat to a baking pan and place in the oven for 10 minutes, or until internal temperature is 125° for rare meat.
Allow the lamb to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
To assemble: Very thinly slice the meat allowing about 3 slices per person. Sprinkle with a little of the minced garlic, orange zest, and basil.
© Christopher Idone
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings, and includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox