This is my favorite big-flavored spice blend, guaranteed to ignite great taste when rubbed on shrimp, scallops, chicken, beef, lamb, buffalo, or pork. This recipe yields just over a cup; I tend to triple it, so I have extra rub on my pantry shelf when I need it. I make the big batch on a weekend when I have extra time, and then–voilà–it’s there when I want it on a time-strapped weeknight.
- 1/4 cup kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, coriander, cumin, paprika, thyme, chili powder, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir well to blend.
Use immediately, or transfer to a jar with a tight-fitting lid and store away from heat and light for up to 6 months.
Nutritional information is based on 20 servings.