Green Tomato Tart
Serves4 to 6
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Recipe Coursehot appetizer
Dietary Considerationhot appetizer
Mealbrunch, dinner, lunch
Taste and Texturesavory
Type of Dishtart
- 1/2 recipe Pie Dough, made with lard
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup honey mustard
- 2 medium–sized green tomatoes, cut in ¼-inch slices
- Salt and freshly milled pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons lightly chopped fresh Italian parsley
Preheat he oven to 350° F. Prepare the pie dough. While the pastry is chilling, heat the oil in a skillet and add the onions. Slowly cook the onions, stirring from time to time over low heat, until wilted and brown, about 20 minutes. Reserve and let cool.
On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a 10-inch circle. Carefully lift the pie dough and place on a baking sheet. Evenly spread the mustard over the surface of the pie dough, leaving a 1-inch band around the circumference of the dough. Evenly spread the onions over the mustard. Arrange the tomatoes in a spiral, covering the caramelized onions. Lightly season the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
Bake the tart for 25 minutes, or until the edges of the crust are crisp. Remove the tart from the oven, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve warm.