- Course: Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 5 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Apple, ginger, and mild onion make this chutney especially sweet, rather than spicy.
1. Mix the tomatoes, onions and apples together in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, and peppercorns, and mix again.
2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring almost constantly to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to low and simmer about 1¾ hours, stirring often to discourage scorching, until the chutney is thick and pulpy.
3. Have ready 6 hot, sterilized 1quart (1 liter) glass canning jars. Screw the lids on the hot jars. Let stand until cooled.
4. Wipe the jars clean and label. Store in a cool dark place. Once opened, store in the refrigerator and eat within a week.
Banana and Green Tomato Chutney:
Substitute peeled, thickly sliced bananas for the apples and 1 tbsp curry powder, 1 tsp ground allspice, and 1 tsp ground ginger for the ginger and peppercorns. Replace the apples with bananas and the spices with 1 tbsp mild curry powder, 1 heaped tsp allspice and 1 tsp ground ginger.
Nutritional information is based on 72 servings.