This is our favorite risotto.
- 1/3 cup finely minced scallions
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup rice, preferably Arborio rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth, simmering
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1½ cup loosely packed fresh spinach leaves
- ½ cup loosely packed parsley leaves, preferably Italian
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus additional for the table
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 1. Saute the scallions in 1 tablespoon of the butter and the oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and garlic; cook over medium heat until the rice is opaque and pearl-like, about 3 minutes.
• 2. Add the hot broth, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon and waiting until the broth is absorbed before adding more.
• 3. While the risotto is cooking, blend together the basil, spinach, parsley, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a food processor.
• 4. Continue adding broth ½ cup at a time to the risotto until the rice is cooked but still al dente, or firm to the bite. (All the broth may not be needed.) Stir in the herb butter, ¼ cup Parmesan, the salt, and pepper. Serve immediately. If desired, pass additional Parmesan at the table.